The heart beats about 2.5 billion times over an average lifetime. With such a heavy workload, the heart can sometime fail or experience complications. The good news is that heart disease can be prevented or at least minimized by making healthy life choices. February is dedicated to promoting National Heart Health and cardiovascular disease prevention. Here are 5 tips for a healthier heart.
5 Tips for a Healthier Heart
1.Have a healthy diet: Eating healthy is the key to having a stronger heart.
- Eat fruits and vegetables, proteins and whole grains.
- Make small changes like using spices to season your food instead of salt.
- Avoid trans fat as it increases your bad cholesterol levels and lowers the good ones.
2. Quit bad habits:
- Stop smoking! Tobacco use makes you vulnerable to heart disease.
- Avoid secondhand smoke/ surrounding yourself with smokers
3. Get Active:
- Exercise reduces blood pressure, reducing your strain on the heart.
- Start a daily excercise routine.
- Staying seated for a long period of time is unhealthy. Stand up and walk around.
4. Get enough sleep:
- Sleep allows your body to recover which is good for not only your heart but overall health.
- When you sleep, your blood pressure and heart rate lowers, taking a break.
- Sleeping too little can increase your blood pressure and inflammation.
5. Manage your stress and anger:
- Stress changes the way the blood clots, increasing chances of a heart attack.
- It is normal to get angry and be stressed, but do not let it be too much. Easy to say, we know.
- Being too angry can lead to high blood pressure which can lead to undue strain on the heart.
It is important to adopt a healthy lifestyle to prevent health complications in the future. Spread these tips to help others prevent heart disease and live a longer and healthier life!
Happy National Heart Health Month!
For more information about heart health or if you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at 860-357-6899 or stop by our New Britain AFC urgent care center where we have professionals available 7 days a week. We’re open 7 days a week, no appointment needed.